Monday, May 6, 2013

When the Going Gets Tough . . .

Sometimes the tough drop the ball.

I was supposed to post here today. Technically, it's still "today" (in North America, anyway), but we all know that's not what's meant by "today". My post should have been up in time for early Eastern time readers, and available for all other time zones as they hit the blogosphere.

Thing is, I've been barely keeping my balls in the air lately, so it was inevitable that I drop one of them.



And that's the thing, isn't it? Life isn't always easy. There's that Murphy Law thing, the whole "it pours" bit--you get the picture. And for the entrepreneurial author, life sometimes gets very, very busy.

The trick, I think, is to adjust the speed with which you're juggling, to adapt for the dropped ball, and keep on going. This isn't a business for pansies. But it is a business for humans and humans make mistakes.

Do I wish I'd remembered to post on time? Of course! I'm embarrassed and feel a lot like I've let my fellow Indies down. But really? If I had to drop one of my balls, this was the best one to go. It's soft and bouncy and very forgiving. Some of the other balls I have up in the air are as fine as Christmas ornaments and if I drop one of those it'll make quite the mess!

So be forgiving of yourself, my friends. Stop and pick up the ball if you need to, but get right back at it. After all, you're tough. So keep going!

*no actual colloquialisms were harmed in the writing of this post.


Ali Cross is the sensei of the writer's dojo where she holds a black belt in awesome. She lives in Utah with her kickin' husband, two sparring sons, one ninja cat, one sumo dog and four zen turtles.

She's the author the the young adult paranormal romance Desolation series, and the middle grade sci fi adventure, Jump BoysFind Ali online: Blog |Facebook Twitter

2 comments:

  1. Been dropping a few of those balls myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stuff happens. I drop the ball quite a bit lately.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete