Monday, June 10, 2013

Why James McAvoy Should Play My Character

I don't normally cast characters. In fact, I've had many interviews with questions like, "Who would you cast to play Simon in the Mindjack Trilogy?" I would awkwardly answer, "Um, I picked an anonymous hot guy off the internet as my visual aid. Maybe we can track him down?"

But as soon as I dreamed up Lirium, the titular character in my Debt Collector series, I immediately thought of James McAvoy.
*sigh*
I created a Pinterest page just to post this picture.

My character, Lirium, is a tormented debt collector, a good man with a bad power in an even worse world. Plus he's ridiculously sexy in his angst-ridden way.
Tell me you can't see James McAvoy in that tub!
(photo by the insanely talented Martin Waldbauer)

He even has the clothes already.

My love affair serious artistic respect for James McAvoy started with Penelope, which, for a light-hearted rom com has a seriously hot kiss.
He even has TWO NAMES in Penelope (just like Lirium/Joe; see what I mean? DESTINY.)

My love respect was deepened by the charming rogue he played in Becoming Jane, with more hot kisses and scenes that left me sobbing.
Gods, man, you can't dress like that an expect a girl not to kiss yea.

And then there's Atonement...
McAvoy. In a LIBRARY. With hotness. 
(I may have combusted right there.)

There were others. Delightfully awkward in Wanted and a romantic gnomlet in Gnomeo&Juliet (yes, even animated James works for me). 

But his recent turn in Sci Fi flick XMEN: First Class...

...and now Trance...
(Holy Hotness, he's channeling Lirium already!)

...seal the deal: McAvoy and my future-noir are meant for each other.

Don't you agree?

If you know someone who wants to option film rights to Debt Collector, tell them I have the perfect cast already!

Susan Kaye Quinn is the author of the bestselling YA SF Mindjack series. Her sexy McAvoy-inspiring future-noir Debt Collector serial is her more grown-up SF. Susan's steampunk fantasy romance is temporarily on hold until Season One of Debt Collector is finished. Plus she needs to leave time to play on Facebook. Susan has a lot of degrees in engineering, which come in handy when dreaming up dangerous mind powers, future dystopias, and slightly plausible steampunk inventions. Mostly she sits around in her pajamas in awe that she gets make stuff up full-time. You can find her at www.susankayequinn.com

What's your life worth on the open market? A debt collector can tell you precisely. Delirium (Debt Collector 1) is now FREE on AmazonBarnes&NobleKobo, iTunesSmashwords. See the Debt Collector FB page for random picture teasers and the upcoming trailer.

13 comments:

  1. In my humble opinion, Mr. (Tumnus) MacAvoy is too adorable, and not dark enough to play our beloved Lir. I picture ... I'm not sure. Someone with darker hair, for one thing, and who doesn't look so cute when he smiles.

    That said, it's not my book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm... I wonder if the female perspective on this will be different. :)

      I think male readers gravitate to the darker side of Lir, maybe want to see him more rugged, whereas female readers gravitate to the tormented boy side of Lir and would want to see the softer side of him. #justspeculating

      Delete
    2. p.s. feel free to supply alternative options!! :)

      Delete
    3. Whoa. Matt, you should check out the trailer for McAvoy's upcoming "Filth" - I'm thinking "adorable" is not the word you would use to describe him there.

      Delete
  2. Um...YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I had little Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Lirium... But James is a good choice, too! *snort* ;o) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to write another post as to why JGL should play Lirium. I know, maybe a face-off!!

      Delete
  4. I agree with Matt, he might be a little too cute for a dark conflicted character. But I haven't seen some of those movies so the acting could change that perspective. Though a couple of those shots do look dark and conflicted...

    ReplyDelete
  5. He was amazing as Richard in the radio adaptation of Neverwhere. Totally believable and relatable, even without ever being able to see him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh... I'll have to see if I can scare up a podcast or recording of that... :)

      Delete