Monday, November 11, 2013

Time Out!

Time out means different things to different people. Most think its a bad thing, like when a child is punished for being a little too rambunctious or sassy, but it doesn't have to mean something bad. Taking a much needed time out could be very good, especially if you feel worn out and creatively drained.

In June I experienced a health scare that nearly took my life. It forced me to put on the breaks where my writing (and life) was concerned. While healing has been a challenge, it's allowed me time to evaluate the important things in my life and set priorities a little differently, putting my health and well being closer to the top of that list.

What does that mean for my writing career?

It means not pushing myself so hard. Setting reasonable deadlines and allowing myself to take time off from writing to "refill my creative cup."

We all need to take a break now and then. Allow yourself some guiltless pleasures. Take a walk. Read a book. Spend the day with a friend. Or simply sit on your deck or patio and breathe in some fresh air. You'll be amazed at how it boosts your creativity and helps your muse feel more at ease.


After helping run the family restaurant for most of their marriage, Christine finally broke away to pursue her career as a writer. She's the author of the YA Paranormal Romance, BOUND, the first book in THE CRYSTOR series. She's currently living with her husband and son in the middle of sage brush and lava rock with a spectacular view of the Snake River Canyon in South Central Idaho.

4 comments:

  1. I am taking a mini break tomorrow though I have to start the day with a dentist checkup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That doesn't sound like a break that will uplift you at all. I hate going to the dentist.

      Delete
  2. You're right, time outs can be a very good thing, a necessary thing and I think we forget that a lot as authors. We're always going, usually with kids, another job, we never stop to recharge. I'm so glad you're feeling better, and taking the time to catch a breath of fresh air. :)

    ReplyDelete