Friday, February 17, 2012

What is Success?

Success takes on many forms. And it means something different to each of us. For some authors, this may mean a five- or six-figure deal with a traditional publisher. It might mean landing an agent. It might be the moment the writer hits a milestone number of sales: 100, 1K, 5K, 50K. 


Nothing gives me greater pleasure than to witness the success of my author friends as they reach the milestones they've set for themselves. When I see their joy, their excitement--it's an amazing thing to witness. And each of them takes joy in even the smallest of feats. This is critical for a writer. Every small success must be treated with respect and honor. Writing is an arduous business to be in, and it's marked by failure and rejection every part of the way. Rapid success and quick wealth is only enjoyed by less than one percent of the literary population. So you can see just what we're up against.  


As an author, my definition of success might be unusual, because I've already hit my greatest milestone in my mind's eye. A milestone that I've dreamed of since I was seven years old: I finished my first novel, Artemis Rising. No, I'm not talking about publishing it--though Spirehouse Books did publish that book this past September. I mean I finished it: researched it, wrote it, edited it. For some, that process can take place in a matter of months, and then they're on to the next project. For me, that first novel...well, it took me ten long years to complete. And it was by far one of the most difficult things I've ever done. 


Artemis Rising had the most complex storyline I could conceive of. The research resources were few and hard to come by. The story was based on two different myths and most of the time it felt like a giant puzzle I was piecing together while blindfolded. Somehow--perhaps by magic and lots of amazing writers groups--it all came together in the end. 


But that journey, you see, and every failed attempt along the way, that was the true success. I learned everything I know writing that book, and I wouldn't trade that time and energy for anything. No matter what sales come today or in the future, I've already made my goal and wrote a book I'm proud to call my own. And now I'm armed with the knowledge to write another. Here's hoping it takes less than a decade this time. =)


A couple tips when talking with authors


When an author shares the news of a success, no matter how big or small, honor it with a kind word of encouragement or a congratulations. You never know how much work went into making it to that milestone. It always surprises me when strangers ask how many sales I've gotten. To me, it's a bit like someone asking how much you make for a living. Rather than asking such a question, ask how the writing is going. Ask whether the writer is working on a new project. In other words, ask about the journey, not the destination.


If you're a struggling author, be careful of comparing yourself with other authors. It will lead you to demean your own successes. Never do that! Your success is your own. Revel in it. Dance on tables and scream at the top of your lungs. Your journey is unlike any other. Be content with what you've achieved.  


________________________
Cheri Lasota’s first novel, Artemis Rising, is a YA historical fantasy based on mythology and set in the exotic Azores Islands. Currently, Cheri is writing and researching her second novel, a YA set on the Oregon Coast. Over the course of her sixteen-year career, she has edited fiction, nonfiction, screenplays, and short stories for publication. Cheri also has twenty-four years of experience writing poetry and fiction. Learn more about Artemis Rising at http://www.cherilasota.com or buy it at http://bit.ly/ArtemisRisingNovel.

21 comments:

  1. Such a great post, Cheri! For me, success was in hosting a launch party - my birthday present to myself. I was surrounded by friends, family & even strangers, who were all there to support me. While sales are great, that feeling of being appreciated for what you've done is what will last with me forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Jessie. I swear we had identical experiences. My launch was on my birthday too--a present to myself! And it was the most amazing night of my life, as all my friends and loved ones were there.

    Most importantly, I was able to thank, in person, those who've helped me along my writing journey. Without them, I would never have finished that book. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how cool is that?? and we both wrote about Greek mythology too... greta minds think alike!

      Delete
  3. Love this! Knowing what constitutes success for you, and striving to achieve it - this is the path to happiness (I'm in a zen kind of mood today. :). Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an excellent point Cheri! We can't get caught up in comparing ourselves to others because each journey is different. Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for reading, Heather and Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! And this is so true and something every writer needs to hear. I'm dancing with you! :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post! I've been struggling with the revision for my book. A lot. It's like I'm traveling through a jungle. But you are right -- it's about know what you, as a writer, want from what you are doing. Personally, when I get this all done, I'm looking forward to people having read my book and to holding it in my hands. When people ask me what my financial goals are I look at them strange. There's nothing wrong with wanting success, wealth, fame, etc. but (personally) that's not why I'm here. I'm far more concerned with being truthful to my characters and their stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post--and so true. We can redefine success, also, as we move along our path! Congrats on your book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the things I have learned about the writing community is they are quick to celebrate - whatever the accomplishment. And I LOVE that you reminded us not to compare - it can only end in tears :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks ladies! Great point, Kristine, that we can change our goals and subsequently the definition of success along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good advice. We're all different and all have our own challenges to overcome. Our goals and our.successes should be our own, not something to hold up to a measuring stick.

    Happy Friday!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great positive spin to celebrate your personal definition of success. The premise of Artemis Rising sounds very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those who aren't writers will probably always ask us about sales: that may be why I'm selective who I tell about it. Great story, great advice, Cheri!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for reading Angela and Leslie! And thanks so much for stopping by, Rebecca. You've been inspiration and a wonderful friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Cherie!

    A great post and good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amen! We're each on our own paths, and that's something to be celebrated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great advice when talking to other authors! I don;t compare myself and I give words of encouragement. When I receive similar comments it makes my day and helps me to keep moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ugh. the sales question. I don't think people understand how nosy that is. I think they're truly just curious and trying to be supportive.

    Point taken about not comparing yourself to others. But, boy, is that a hard lesson to internalize.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting article.
    I saw this video on YouTube and I think this guy makes a really interesting point about our need to Redefine success.
    Definitely worth a watch.
    http://youtu.be/cvcTwohf1Zg?hd=1

    ReplyDelete