Friday, July 13, 2012

Don't Be Overwhelmed

I have three slips of green stock paper taped to my kitchen cabinet. I'm not a big fan of inspirational quotes or those sappy, Think Positive and the World Will Be Yours kind of things. I'm much more likely to find my humor and inspiration in demotivational posters like these:






Wait, this is supposed to be an inspirational post...

So no one is more surprised than me to find these three inspirational quotes greeting me every morning as I make my peanut butter english muffin:

"Don't Be Overwhelmed"


"Live It Fully"


"Ask the Right Question"


Don't be Overwhelmed
You will always have more to do than you have time on this earth. This is the nature of a limited life span, the immortality we lost when Adam and Eve took that bite from the Tree of Knowledge and got tossed out of Eden. I wonder if Eve realized that giving into temptation meant she would never be able to get all the scrapbooking done that she wanted, or if Adam realized he'd never get to play all those holes of golf. Even if we give up the fun things we'd like to do, and the exercise that we ought to do, and settle for the bare minimum requirements of getting the kids fed and dressed and off to school, the work done, and the house clean enough that we don't land on an episode of Hoarders, the hours are still too short to get it all done.


Truth: There are never enough hours in the day. Feeling overwhelmed about it is a choice.


Being overwhelmed means you've figuratively (or possibly literally) thrown up your hands and given up. Being overwhelmed means you run like a hyperactive gerbil on the wheel, trying to get every last little thing done, then collapse when your body finally gives out. But when I'm forced to leave the planet, I want my last thoughts to be, at least I did the important things, not oh noes, there's dishes left in the sink! Ruthlessly prioritize and choose not to worry about the rest - you will have to give something up (see truth above), but it will be worth it. Sacrifices almost always are, if they are made for the right reason.


Live It Fully
This is actually a corollary to Don't Be Overwhelmed, because time is a dynamic, living, breathing thing. You don't need a time-turner to realize that time can zip by like an eight-year-old with a shiny new bike or move as slow as a two-year-old who has discovered a field of dandelions. In fact, we can take lessons from the two-year-old, who will lavish more time and attention on a soft-serve vanilla ice cream cone than you can possibly stand. Children live in the moment, and they wring every ounce of enjoyment (or agony) out of it. Each moment of our lives is literally a treasure trove of sensation and emotion, just waiting for us to slow down and enjoy it.


Truth: Play with your kids. Spend a half hour listening to a friend with your whole heart.  Focus your entire being when you pour words onto a page. 


These full moments are the ones that make the journey worth taking, and your sense of being overwhelmed will slip away when you pack enough of these into your day.


Ask The Right Question
The wrong question: How do I get more Twitter followers?
The right question: How can I provide value to the twitter community?
An even better question: How can I enjoy the twitter community so that we both benefit?


An axiom in science is that asking the right question is more than half of the battle. In fact, often asking the right question is the entire battle, because the answer becomes obvious, once the question is properly framed.


The wrong question: How can I increase my book sales?
The right question: How can I write a book that people want to read?
An even better question: What book moves my heart so much that I must write it?


The wrong question: How can I balance my writing and my life?
The right question: How can I ensure that the things I value most get highest priority?
An even better question: What should I be doing right now to make my life fuller?


Go now and do that thing. 


And when you've dipped into that moment, wrung every drop of experience and emotion from it, you won't need me to tell you, because you'll already know: life is short - live it fully and you'll have no regrets.


 ~~*~~

Susan Kaye Quinn is the author of the bestselling Mindjack Trilogy, a young adult science fiction/paranormal series, as well as Life, Liberty, and Pursuit (a love story). Susan has several degrees in engineering and her business card says "Author and Rocket Scientist," but she spends way too much time on TwitterFacebook, and her blog.



32 comments:

  1. So much of life is how we approach it and our mindset! Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I need these posts to remind myself, as much as anything else.

      Delete
  2. Lovely, and worth reaffirming every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! (I've been peeking at your comments on Nathan's blog ... need to get over to your blog more often. :))

      Delete
  3. Did I ever need this today! I'm Overwhelmed and Not Asking the Right Questions. I have been working on the Living it Fully, so I get one point. Now I'm off to remedy my neglect of those other two.

    Thanks Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously I'm no pro at this either, or I wouldn't need the notes on my kitchen cabinet! I hope you can find your way to Not-Overwhelmed-Land soon, Lee! Hang in there...

      Delete
    2. You're the best, Susan. I loved your kitchen notes!

      Delete
  4. Great post! I like the funny "motivational" posters myself. And you are right. Everyone has too much to do. You just have to realize that and choose not to be overwhelmed. And we all do need to reminded to stop and smell the flowers with our kids, our family. In a busy day, it's good to stop and just ENJOY>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! It amazes me how restorative that slowing down can be, and also how often I forget that. :)

      Delete
  5. Well said, Susan!

    I am fond of the demotivational posters, too. They are so much more clever than the positive kind!

    I like the part about asking the right question. That IS important and a very simple thing that's often overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I love your new profile pix! Humor is awesome for sneaking those little lessons in there without you noticing. :) And it's staggering how often I forget the simple stuff. *sigh*

      Delete
  6. "I wonder if Eve realized that giving into temptation meant she would never be able to get all the scrapbooking done that she wanted..."

    Hilarious!

    Love everything about this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! :) And I had a dream once about scrapbooking, but it quickly got trounced by the actual living of the life I was hoping to capture. #lessonlearned

      Delete
  7. Excellent post! I feel overwhelmed sometimes but I have to remind myself it's because I have so many OPPORTUNITIES! It's a great problem to have, and I don't want to ruin a day worrying that I'm not getting enough done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For serious! It is literally the best time to be a writer, but we can just as often get overwhelmed by choices as being grateful for them.

      Delete
  8. Awesome post and just what I needed to hear today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree. Thanks for reminding me. I need these reminders daily, I swear! Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a wise lady! Thanks for sharing. These are good things to remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That means a lot, coming from you, sweetie!

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the great advice! I especially like the one about asking the right question because I'm often asking the wrong one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a tough one, because the wrong question often is tapping into our fears. "Oh noes! What if I don't have enough Twitter followers?? I will be fail, fail, fail!!" *flails* Keeping focused on the right question helps keep that at bay. :)

      Delete
  12. Now if I can just practice what the rocket scientist preaches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now if the rocket scientist can just practice what she preaches! LOL :)

      Delete
  13. Very good advice Susan. The demotivational posters were cool, love the sense of humor. And I recently had to put into practice the concept of never enough hours in a day, and prioritize. When my daughter and grandkids came to visit for the weekend, I put away the computer and just hung out.

    And then didn't catch up on blogging after they left :)

    Sometimes, ya just gotta veg out and relax.

    ........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  14. For not liking inspirational stuff, you're awfully inspirational, Sue. :) This is a refreshing reminder of something I need to re-learn on a frequent basis.

    ReplyDelete