Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Indie Life - Join us!

Starting today, the Indelibles will be hosting a monthly feature called INDIE LIFE. Modeled after Alex Cavanaugh's awesome Insecure Writer's Group, this will be a chance for indie authors to post about indie life, find each other, offer support, encouragement, news, helpful hints, and anything else that makes life as an indie author a little easier.

What is Indie Life?
How: Sign up on the Linky at the bottom of this page
When: Post on the second Wednesday of the month (starting TODAY 1/9/2013)
What: Write anything indie related: something that will inspire or help a fellow indie; something that celebrates a release or a milestone; something that talks about the ups and downs, joys and heartaches of Being Indie.
Grab: The banner above to include in your posts!

Because being Indie doesn't have to mean going it alone.

Laura Pauling brings us her first Indie Life post.

With a new year comes the wave of blog posts about resolutions and writing goals. I enjoy reading them. I love seeing what my friends and blogging pals are up to. What insight they have in how to balance their writing and their families.

I don’t love writing resolution posts myself, so I jotted down some confessions. Most erred on the side of humorous and flimsy. But one mentioned how I miss the good ole days of blogging.

Three times a week, I blogged. Three times a week, I read a lot of posts and commented on most of them. But I didn’t mind it. In a phase of writing where I was querying and querying and querying, publishing to my blog and gaining readers brought a feeling of accomplishment.

Over the past year, each month, my Google reader diminished in posts. More writers were taking extended breaks. Eventually, I joined the crowd and dropped to blogging once a week.

But I was writing more, and I was publishing.

Even though I miss those days, I don’t want to go back. I still love keeping up with my friends and meeting new ones, but even more? I love seeing the progress my friends are making.

Some are signing with agents and getting book deals. Some are just jumping into the querying pool or signing with small presses. Others are self-publishing and hitting the best seller lists. More and more writers are making strides with their careers and finding success.

I couldn’t be more proud. I love it.

So yes, I miss the good ole days of blogging, but I love this day and age of blogging even more. Here’s to another fantastic year even with all the highs and the lows that a creative life brings.



HOP THROUGH FOR A PEEK INTO THE INDIE LIFE

ADD YOUR NAME TO LIST IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO JOIN US (NEXT POST 2/13/2013)
NOTE: if you previously signed up, but your name is not on the list - please sign up again! We had a linky catastrophe that deleted everyone's names. Thanks for your understanding!



Copy this linky code to include the linky in your Indie Life posts!
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.simply-linked.com/listwidget.aspx?l=69334987-2a7f-48ea-b1d6-4614953e0005" ></script>

21 comments:

  1. Um...why did my name get removed? I signed up on this list about two weeks ago, and my name was still there last week, I thought.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please sign up again! I've ammended the above to explain:

      NOTE: if you previously signed up, but your name is not on the list - please sign up again! We had a linky catastrophe that deleted everyone's names. Thanks for your understanding!

      Delete
    2. Note: I've added a linky code box above in the post, so that you can add the linky at the end of your posts!

      Delete
  2. Laura Pauling and SecondHand shoes may have been mis-spelled when you added them back. They're both broken links.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this idea, all. I'm in. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been awesome to read everyone's posts and what they're thinking about. Great topics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me know if this works.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. My link is still not up there. Did I do something wrong? I re-entered it about two hours ago.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry it's giving you such trouble! Could you try entering it again. My linky account doesn't have any record of it - and it's better for you to do it, so that you can modify it in the future. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Here's my first Indie Life post! :-)

    http://the-open-vein-ejwesley.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-new-thing-indie-life.html

    By the way, I tried to copy/paste the html 'Indie Life' button on the left into my blog and it wouldn't show up for some reason. Just a heads up that the image link, etc. could be bad.

    Love the concept for the group and hope it grows like wildfire,

    EJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura, I love your take on this. I remember those days fondly and I'm so thankful I was around to participate in them. Once upon a time I blogged five days a week! I think you hit the nail on the head: while querying and going on submission to editors, there was so much waiting, so much more room to blog, and read and comment.

    In these new indie publishing days, that time is eaten up so quickly with writing, editing and publishing! No more waiting room time. I too, love watching all the wonderful writers I've gotten to know and still am meeting as they scale the indie pubbing heights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to joining in next month!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's the nice thing about the writing community. It's flexible. We connect with writers via blogs, chat a bit, then take a break, write, get back into the social stuff...it all depends on where we're at and what goals we're working on.

    Great post, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this so much! And I'm not going to be able to sign up just yet, but I WILL be making the rounds--Lord knows I need the encouragement! And I'm so with Laura on how things are changing, and it makes me sad, too. But it's also a good thing, because we ARE publishing and so many of our bloggy friends are finding agents and publishing success! I'm so proud of them. And we do keep in touch on FB and via email. LOVE how far we've all come! *hugs* <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how supportive and encouraging you are to other writers out there--including myself! I love this post--it just made me HAPPY!

    ReplyDelete
  13. number 16 and number 24 appear to be broken links.

    ReplyDelete