Monday, March 26, 2012

Ah, Young Love!

Whether it's the main story-line or just a sub-plot, romance is one of my favorite parts of any novel or movie. I love that moment where the heroine first sees the hero of the story. Sometimes she hates him. Other times, she looks into his piercing green eyes and feels that first spark of something special. Either way, it's an electric moment for me as a reader. Especially in teen novels.

But why? Why do I love reading about teen romance? I guess it's the same reason I love reading young adult fiction in general. It's all about firsts. We all remember that first time we really fell for a guy, don't we? The boy we grew up sitting next to in math class. The one who never noticed us. Or maybe it was the guy who caught up to us in the parking lot after school to ask us to the Prom. Those first moments where we thought our hearts would practically beat out of our chests. Our hands were clammy and our mouths went dry. Those were terrifying moments, but at the same time, they were exhilarating and fun and beautiful and life-changing.

Every time I read a new teen novel, I find myself looking for those romantic moments. I want to relive the heart-stopping beauty of it all. I want to experience the heroine's hope and uncertainty. I want to know her happiness when she finally does realize that the hero cares about her just as much as she cares about him.

The truth is, a novel doesn't even have to be all-romance all-the-time for me to feel this way. Just look at The Hunger Games. (*Somewhat Spoiler Alert if you haven't read the books) The initial story-line has more to do with how much Katniss loves her sister than any boy in the story. Still, from the moment we see her with Gale out in the woods, we wonder if he's the one. Will they fall in love and manage to stay together somehow? Or will her decision to volunteer for Prim change their fate? Then when Peeta confesses his crush on her during his interview at the Capital, we feel our hearts go out to him. Does he mean it? Is he really going to be forced into a competition to the death with the girl he's always had a thing for? Even though the romance isn't the main focus of the series, it's a huge part of what kept me turning pages.

It's the same with Harry Potter. At the beginning, it's all about friendship. These kids are too young to know love. But we watch them all grow up and we keep turning pages to see who will end up with who? Will Ron ever tell Hermione how he really feels? Will Harry live to find true love? These are questions that carry us forward even when they aren't the main story questions.

Then, of course, there's Twilight. Romance is the focus here. Love is the point of it, really. Love is
the reason we read it. (and maybe even re-read it) It's human nature to root for love. To long for it and to take great satisfaction in it. To even mourn it when it doesn't work out the way we'd hoped. We do it in our own lives, of course, but those are stories that take months - sometimes years - to figure out and to experience. With a novel, we can watch two people meet, fall in love, argue or face death and danger, and eventually come together in one successful and satisfying ending all in a matter of hours. There's something so rewarding about that, isn't there?

So tell me, do you love reading teen romance? What are some of your favorite romantic couples in YA fiction?

19 comments:

  1. I do love teen romance. I guess b/c at times it is so complicated and other times so simple. They are balancing so many other things. And like you said, it's about the firsts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Laura! And sometimes we as readers feel that it should/could be so simple if they just knew the truth or if they could just see what we see from the outside. Sweet agony! Hehe.

      Delete
  2. I'm a sucker for teen romance for just the reason you said - first love. that initial spark is pure magic and it's so fun to see two people come together. I love Anna and Etienne in Anna and the French Kiss, and I'm a total sucked for Twilight. Just give me some good old pining away amongst the characters and I'm a happy reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I haven't read Anna and the French Kiss, but have heard a lot of great things about it.

      Delete
  3. To me, there must be some kind of a love message or a love story in a book I'm reading. My heart fluttered just reading this post <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can hardly think of a book I've read that didn't have at least some spark of romance. It's part of the magic of reading for me! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. gotta have the spark of romance or it gets forgotten

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely! I love adventure, action, and intrigue, but really it all comes down to being emotionally invested and for me that means the romance. And I couldn't agree more, that's a huge part of what makes YA so fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Good point. It's all about being emotionally invested. YA is so great about making you really care about the characters.

      Delete
  6. #TeamPeeta

    And of course I love y oung love and paranormal young love. I did write about How to Date an Alien after all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you all the way here, Sarra. I have a really hard time tracking with a book that doesn't have any romance at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't *think* about romance in that way--but I do agree that I need it to be there. I just hadn't really realized it until you spelled it out for me, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. im okay with books without romance but I dont know if many teens are. That is just the stage of life they are in. whether we like it or not. It's all about boys - in one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm 35 and I still think I'm in that stage, hehe.

      Delete
  10. If somebody would have told me a few years back that I would be addicted to teen romance books, I would have laughed so hard in their faces until I would have fainted. But today, after discovering awesome books like "That old black magic" series by Jodi Redford, I cannot go without a week without my fix of teen romance lol All of her books have awesome couples, but I must admit that her last book of the series with Samael and Marabella really made me go in for more. Now I just can't wait to see what she will come up with next! SHould

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Jodi Redford, but now I'm going to have to go look her up!

      Delete
  11. Seth from WICKED LOVELY and ME! Woot! Best couple ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's something magical about teen romances. There's the "does he like me or not?" bit, the "we kissed but I think he doesn't like me" bit, and the, "OMG, I'm totally in love and so is he" bit that becomes horribly distorted in real life.

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think there's definitely an appeal to many readers when YA books have romance in them, and that it has a dramatic effect on sales. That's something I'll keep in mind as I write future books.

    ReplyDelete