Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Art of Novel Ninjutsu

It's true. I'm a little ninja-obsessed. But not because I think killing people in their sleep is awesome. Or that I'd look good in black pajamas and toe-socks. It's writing ninjas that I think are cool.

See, writing ninjas train until our writing muscles are wearing and we just can't take any more.

And then we train some more.

We kill our darlings. Slit the throat of our beautiful prose.

We slash pages and pages of worthless stuff.

 

A writing ninja knows the importance of focus, imagination and feeling. She regularly seeks the opportunity to meditate on her story. 

The writing ninja can write anytime, anywhere. He knows the best time to get the job done is right now.

A writing ninja expects to work. Expects to be awesome. She expects it--and so it is true.

A writing ninja is successful not only because she is fearless and fierce, but also because she doesn't do what's always been done.

A writing ninja shows respect for those who have come before him and he helps those who are following behind.

The writing ninja knows he can always improve; that there is no end to learning. 

Wait. Didn't say this was the art of NOVEL ninjutsu? Sure, I didn't tell you how to write a novel. But I promise you, if you practice the way of the writing ninja, you will write THE END on the most amazing novel you can write. 

Because that's what writing ninjas do--they write, and they conquer.

the writer's dojo

18 comments:

  1. Awesome advice Ali. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never really thought to compare my writing to the skills of a Ninja, but NOW I get it... I think the best part is a writing ninja expects to be awesome and so she is. Right on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Gotta have high expectations of yourself for sure.

      Delete
  3. Love this! Off to do some ninja writing today ... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Though I'm pretty sure you are already a #writingninja!

      Delete
  4. I am such a Ninja. :P. I love the part about training until you can't go on - and then pushing forward anyway. I think that's so important. Write even when you don't think you want to or you think you aren't 'inspired' or when you just don't feel like it. That's the path to becoming a real writing Ninja.

    Thanks for this post. It's given me new inspiration for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And in this day and age, authors need all those qualities and strengths to move forward! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the ninja comparison (probably partly because I'm a martial arts freak lol). It's true - there are so many comparisons I can make between writing and martial arts. And probably the most important is to push through, to keep going and not give up. The founder of Shotokan karate in his 20 principles said: "Karate is like boiling water. If you do not heat it constantly, it will cool." I believe it's the same with writing - the longer you don't write, the harder it is to get back into it, so don't take long breaks, always keep the water boiling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute gif. We are ninjas...hear us roar!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've so totally had to be a ninja lately in order to complete my book with so many negative distractions in my life. But I did it, on time. Choosing a position of strength actually perpetuates strength. Hiding in the corner defeated saps what strength you have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is wonderful! Love this: A writing ninja knows the importance of focus, imagination and feeling. She regularly seeks the opportunity to meditate on her story.

    Heck, on the other hand, I love all of them. Every one is true! Thanks for sharing.

    Martina

    ReplyDelete