Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I HAVE A DREAM

I’m not a leader. I’m not a follower.

I am an artist. I am a dreamer.

I dream of writing and sharing great stories. I dream of meeting amazing and supportive readers. I dream of interacting with and supporting my fellow authors.

I don’t care which path leads to me my dream. For me, it’s about the journey and the destination, not the vehicle in which I travel.

I personally know many “big” traditionally published authors, small press authors, self-published authors, and writers-who-will-one-day-be-published-somehow. I do not classify them by their path, or their vehicle. I learn their names and respect them for pursuing their dream.

Sometimes I read and watch quietly from the sidelines, as some (not all) authors, agents, editors, readers, reviewers and others in this storytelling business, argue or defend or scheme or belittle or throw stones, and I think, “Why?”

For the love of books, why can’t we all just get along?

I’ve heard some ambitious people talk about how they want to knock down the walls that separate traditional and indie authors and publishers. I understand the concept, but I don’t want to knock down anything—or anyone.

Instead, I want to throw a grand and beautiful garden party. Fantastic music and twinkle lights will lure everyone out from behind their walls to gather together under the same big sky. Competition and negativity will melt away as people smell the flowers and breathe in fresh air, meet and mingle, dance like no one is watching, and eat dessert first.

Name tags are optional, labels aren’t allowed, and no one cares how you were published, how big your deal was, your number of sales, how many followers you have, or the number of comments you receive. The simple fact that you are an artist, and a dreamer, and an eternal work-in-progress means that you are welcome and—as if there was ever any doubt—you are a VIP.

One of America’s greatest leaders, Martin Luther King Jr, was also a dreamer. I’m going to borrow the groundwork of his most famous speech, but adapt it to fit my dream for the world of storytelling.

I say to you today, my friends, that in spite of the current stereotypes and upheaval of the publishing world, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this world will rise up and understand the true meaning of writer: We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all authors are created equal.

I have a dream that one day on the drama-filled pages of the internet, the sons and daughters of former slaves to the Big-Six-Is-All-That-Matters way of thinking will be able to sit down together at a table of readerhood.

I have a dream that one day even indie and self-published books, which currently exist in a world of injustice and oppression, will be transformed into a reader's paradise of justice and originality.

I have a dream that my fellow authors, no matter how they are published, will one day live in a world where they will not be judged by the name and size of their publisher, but by the content and quality of their stories.

I have a dream today.


Tell me, dreamers, what’s your dream?


Karen Hooper writes young adult paranormal and fantasy, and is the author of TANGLED TIDES and GRASPING AT ETERNITY. She is currently sunning and splashing around Florida with her two beloved dogs. Some of her addictions include coffee, chocolate and complicated happily-ever-afters.

You can find her at www.KarenAmandaHooper.com or on Twitter at @Karen_Hooper.

30 comments:

  1. "Name tags are optional, labels aren’t allowed, and no one cares how you were published, how big your deal was, your number of sales, how many followers you have, or the number of comments you receive. The simple fact that you are an artist, and a dreamer, and an eternal work-in-progress means that you are welcome and—as if there was ever any doubt—you are a VIP."

    OMG. This, this, this. THIS brought a tear to my eye.

    Most in the writing/publishing community are so awesome, but every once in awhile a distinct lack of classiness can get me down. This was so beautiful. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a dream that my fellow authors, no matter how they are published, will one day live in a world where they will not be judged by the name and size of their publisher, but by the content and quality of their stories.

    Yes, yes yes! I wish this was the way of the world. Such a beautiful dream! Thanks for sharing this inspirational post Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've had this dream before too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you, Karen Amanda Hooper!!!!! Such true & beautiful words. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome I love it. Definitely something to keep posted by our computer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I totally want to go to that garden party. Who's hosting???

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a party I'd love to be invited to. Beautiful, Karen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish my author garden party could look that awesome.

    Wise words, wise words.

    And I just have to say,

    "SHE DOESN'T EVEN GO TO THIS SCHOOL."

    Okay, my MeanGirls moment is over.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this!! So poetic and well said. Thanks for sharing your vision for all of us. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, everyone! :)
    I'm hosting the garden party and you're all invited. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post! And I'm coming to the garden party :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bravo! An articulate, inspiring and rousing post. Please include me on the invitation list..

    ReplyDelete
  13. *stands and claps wildly; whistles; jumps up and down*

    You are amazing. This post is amazing. Your dream is UBER amazing. Wow...wow...and wow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh. And OH. This is the most beautiful thing ever Karen. I think we should put it on the "about us" page because it is exactly MY dream, too--thank you for inviting me (and everyone!) to your garden party! It's a total blast :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. This just gave me chills. Go you, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this, Karen!!! MLK JR is my hero and I love how you said, "for the love of books". lol It really is about the books.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your dream is my dream! Thanks for this post, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's already been said, but this piece is both well-written, and insightful. I'm simply going to have to check out your books now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loverly!

    Heartily agree with Ali's idea of adding this to our About page. Your post speaks a truth we all need to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have the exact same dream. Beautifully said my dear, beautifully said. Every author, in every platform, needs to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay! Who knew my garden party would be such a hit? Brownies and Lemon Squares for everyone!

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are awesome! I hope I get invited to your garden party, b/c that's right where I want to be too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, beautiful post, Karen. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a wonderful sentiment, Karen. I hope your dream comes true. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome lines...Hope you see the light at the end of the tunnel for your dream!:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful, Karen. As much as I wish it could be like this, I think it's going to take a LOT of time before the vehicles are no longer considered :( Just like with other things, there are still people out there who are homophobic, racist, sexist, etc, there's always going to be someone who tries to put people in boxes and staple them shut. I don't mean to be pessimistic. Not at all. I have your vision too and constantly dream, if only! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well said! I agree, its the journey that matters and not the vehicle- loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fantastic post, Karen! Lovely to know so many wonderful people are joining together to share the dream. I pray it comes true for all one day. :-)

    ReplyDelete