Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Online Writer's Workshops


This week on the weekly Twitter chat that I host on Monday’s (#WritersRoad) we discussed online writer’s workshops. For those of us who don’t have the time to travel, or are strapped for the funds in this tough economy, an online workshop can be the answer to improving our writing skills. However, one must choose carefully. Here are a few good ones that I’ve found:

WriteOnCon (a free workshop/conference for MG & YA) Occurring in August. I can personally vouch for this one, it’s fantastic!
San Francisco Writer’s University (all genres) Has a solid reputation.
Writer’s Digest Workshops (all genres) Has a solid reputation.

Before you choose, decide exactly what it is you want to learn or improve on, work out your budget, then start researching. Unless you know the company or people putting on the workshop, don’t invest in it until you have recommendations from people you trust who have attended. There are a lot of people out there more than willing to take advantage of writers who are ready to invest in their future.  If you know of any great workshops leave us a link in the comments!

Heather is the author of the YA paranormal Channeler series which includes; The Secret Of Spruce Knoll, Born Of Fire, Channeler's Choice, and coming in May of 2012, To Ride A Puca. A short story of Heather's is also available in the free In His Eyes eBook anthology. 


17 comments:

  1. Awesome suggestions Heather. Kristen Nelson is also starting some online classes. I took a Writers Digest query class from her about two years ago that was great so I'd recommend checking these classes out. Here's the link to her blog though you may have to search her agency website to find it.
    http://pubrants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up on that one Natalie. Kristen is fantastic and that would be an excellent workshop!

      Delete
  2. I've been taking research based courses from the Kiss of Death (suspense/mystery chapter of the RWA). Not sure when I'll need knowledge on forensic toxicology in my YA novels, but it sure has been interesting.

    I'm also taking courses though Margie Lawson's university. Unfortunately the instructor lacks time management skills and makes lots of empty promises. I thought she was going to improve after what happened in the last class I took with her. So did so many other students. But in the end she didn't, so I won't take anymore of her classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds great Stina! You never know where stuff like that will come in handy. Good to know about Margie Lawson too, thanks for the warning!

      Delete
  3. #yalitchat occasionally offers online courses. I've taken ones by Georgia McBride and her former agent (whose name escapes me right now) and they were both very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's why with Margie's classes I just buy the packets and go through at my own speed. Some of my friends have taken the 30 dollars courses through writersU. So many out there, I think it's best to hear word of mouth first. Writeoncon is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Word of mouth is key, so true! And yep, WriteOnCon rocks!

      Delete
  5. I agree, WriteOnCon is awesome! I'm planning to participate again this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello I just wanted to pop in and thank you for your kind words over at Unedited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teenage Bride, you're welcome and thanks for dropping by. :)

      Delete
  7. I've heard good things about Margie's packets. I'd like to say that NiNoCon is another good one (free), but since we only just had our first go, I'm not sure what the future holds! But the transcripts are all there--we learned about queries, writing like JK Rowling, marketing and more! http://www.ninjaswrite.com/p/ninocon.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a good one Ali, thanks! I hope you get to do it again, it was a fantastic resource. Thanks for the link!

      Delete
  8. The three you've recommended have all been highly touted by others, so thanks for the reminder. Jessie already mentioned what's happening over at #yalitchat, so I'll just second that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a great alternative for busy people on a budget. Or for those like you who live in a rural community and would have to go a long way to find an in-person conference.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WriteOnCon sounds like a great conference opportunity! I have a toddler and am on a budget but I'm eager to learn! It's nice that there's something still available for people like me. :) thanks for the reminders!

    ReplyDelete