Monday, April 23, 2012

An Indie Year in Review



Hello all! 

It's Addison Moore, here! I'm thrilled to be posting today and would love to share my thoughts on a year in retrospect. 

Has it been one year already? Well, OK, a year and a month since I jumped into the indie pool with the CELESTRA series (my YA paranormal romance). Its been a whirlwind for sure and I wanted share a few things I've learned along the way;

1. Indie publishing can consume you. The writing, the edits--looking for the next cover, it all has the ability to suck you into a time warp, and if you dare peek your head out, an entire year might have passed. Remember to breathe and hang out with friends and family. It's OK to have a life. 

2. Writers and readers are the nicest people on the planet! Engage with them on every level possible. I honestly feel like my readers are family.

3. Bloggers are made of PURE GOLD. Bloggers are the most supportive, friendly, encouraging people. Get to know them and their readers!

4. Tweet not for yourself what you can have others tweet for you, but DO THEM FIRST. It’s never nice to follow someone who turns into a one-person titter based infomercial but spreading the love can combat that and enable you to share other great indie books with your followers as well.

5. Don’t be afraid to try new things. Break a few rules, test new water, push your characters and scenes further than you would ever be comfortable. If it makes for a more exciting read, the reader will want to turn the page.

6. Take into consideration what reviewers are saying but don’t rise or fall with every review. If reviews tend to knock you down and ruin the mojo of your word count don’t read them until your writing for the day is done.

7. Write the best book you can. And when you upload it to the world--start another one and try do better. Always strive to top yourself.

Well there’s the shortlist of things I’ve discovered this year. I really do strive to write each book tighter and stronger (apparently longer, too, but that’s a different story.)

Anything you would like to know about indie publishing? Ask away!

If you would like to enter to win a free e-copy of ETHEREAL (Celestra Series Book 1) please leave your email addy in the comments section. 


Addison Moore is the mom of four wonderful children and a graduate of the University of Southern California. Upon graduation she worked as a therapist on a locked psychiatric unit for over seven years. Her late night writing jags are often fueled by Dr. Pepper. The film rights to the CELESTRA series were recently sold to 20th Century Fox. To learn more please visit Addison’s blog.
http://addisonmoorewrites.blogspot.com/ 

Follow me on Twitter

Join me on Facebook




25 comments:

  1. Do you think your other books might get movie rights stylnunicorn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone who has not read Addison Moore and are only thinking about it. Don't think Just do it! Addison is a Literary Mastermind! Her stories will take you places you have never been. Put you through emotions so great within one book you can't breath! Her stories will not disappoint! Paragon will live in my heart forever!
    Thank you Addison for your words!
    bkorzep@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You Addison for all the greats books...keep em coming!!

    A fan for life!
    lisaap007@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It certainly has been quite the year for you! So much can change so quickly! Congrats! Loved the Ethereal series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Addison!

    I have a question and I bet it's the question indies hear the most: how many book did you sell this first year? (if you don't mind sharing, of course).

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the movie rights! And great advice for indie writers! I'm looking forward to reading the series this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats!!! Count me in.

    Vivien
    deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa Markson - Wow, I hope so. It's really every writers dream. I've sold the Celestra series and that's all I have out right now. But I do have several other series in the works. And thanks for entering!

    Brandy - You've humbled me greatly. I can't thank you enough for your kind words!! Thank you so much for reading. I hope you'll enjoy Book 7 when it hits the e-shelves.

    Anon- thank you so very much for reading! And you're entered!

    Laura - It has been one wild ride, that's for sure. I'm so glad you enjoyed the books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Juliana Haygert - Of course I don't mind sharing! Just email me. addisonmoorewrites (@) yahoo.com or DM me on twitter. I really don't mind sharing but I'm shy to post the #. It was a mind boggling lot!!!!

    Karly Kirkpatrick - Thanx Karly! Happy reading~!

    Vivien - Thank you and you're in!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fantastic post! Thanks for showing that indies can kick ass, too. It's good to hear such success from an indie writer for those of us just starting out :) Thank you! (Oh yeah...email: lizclong@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I forgot to add my email to enter the giveaway.

    Here it is: juliana.haygert(at)gmail(dot)com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great lessons learned! And those book covers are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lizclong - Thank you! And, yes, indies are capable of much @** kicking!!! ;) I see no boundaries, no walls. All is possible. Follow your dreams!!!!

    Juliana Haygert - Thanks for tweeting!! I'll DM you the #!


    Peggy Eddleman - Thank you! My husband does the covers. I'll pass the kind words on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dayla Moon - <--- Love your name!! Thanx for reading~!

    Elle Strauss - TY!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great stuff here. Love the book covers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good advice. I like the covers too. Good luck with your self publishing venture, Addison.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just published in Jan.

    Everything that you said is what I am learning, but I needed to read it again for an awesome refresher!

    This post gave me alot of hope!

    I'm just going to go out there and say it....

    I love you... and want to have your babies!

    Can't wait to check out your books!

    Kenya Wright

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing all of your advice. Sometimes it's hard to remember that is ok to have a life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Donna K. Weaver - Thank you! I'll pass the word to my graphic designer, A.K.A. my husband. ;)

    Theresa Milstein - Thanks Theresa. I could have wrote a book on what not to do. ;)

    Kenya Taylor Wright - You're so funny! Congrats on taking the plunge. I wish you much success!

    Jessie Harrell - I know, right? And ironically, that's the key. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing such excellent advice Addison. You make a lot of great points that new indie authors really need to take to heart, and that are great reminders for us more seasoned ones.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such great advice. I agree completely.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Addison, this is great advice! I find number 1 to be the hardest. Whenever I'm not working: writing, promo, marketing, brainstorming, plotting, whatever- I feel guilty! But then I also get awful burnout. It's so important to experience the world. To interact with people so we have things and emotions and awkwardnesses to draw on. ;) thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Heather - Thank you! I had a blast posting the blog. ;)

    Lisa - TY! It's easy to let ourselves sink into our work. Playtime is important, too!

    Isabelle Santiago - I know exactly what you mean! But life needs to be lived to the fullest on and off the computer. We need to find balance and do both. It's so hard. I really do struggle with this daily as well!

    ReplyDelete