Monday, June 25, 2012

Oreo speed-wagon




Hello! Addison here to share some of my routine and hopefully encourage you! Please don’t forget to share your writing routine in the comments section. I’d love to hear!




First, I have to eat one Oreo each day or the entire universe will unravel.  It's my ongoing, although carbohydrate laden, fiduciary contribution to mankind.

But honestly, and all kidding aside, sometimes that feels like the some total of my existence and I think I can do more than just the whole Oreo thing.

Simply put, I want to further my writing endeavors. Here are some of my daily/ weekly goals.

1.    Create daily goals and stick to them. My goals are usually write 5K a day or edit 5 chapters.
2.    Spend at least an hour on marketing endeavors if not more.
3.    Outline potential new books at least once a week.
4.    Take time for family, nature, listening to muse-ic whenever possible.

It’s hard to keep yourself on the bandwagon of word counts, edits, crazy marketing schemes, SO, hold on, don’t let go, it might be a bumpy ride but it’s better than not moving at all. And when the trek looks pretty darn unappetizing go ahead and grab yourself an Oreo. It might hold more than the universe together, it might be the glue that holds your sanity together as well.

What’s your vice when the going gets tough? What's your writing routine like? 

Addison Moore is a graduate from the University of Southern California and the mom of four wonderful children. She spent over seven years working as a therapist on a locked psychiatric unit. Her Celestra Series was recently picked up for film by 20th Century Fox. When she's not writing she's reading. 


Feel free to visit her at: FacebookBlogTwitterAmazon Author PageGoodreads

EPHEMERAL (The Countenance) and TOXIC (Celestra 7) Coming this summer! 













18 comments:

  1. Oreos huh. Have you seen the new triple ones. They are dangerous :o). Have an Oreo for me. Heck Ill send you a case to keep you inspired! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah! I hope I never see them, lol! My favorite are the orange ones at Halloween. ;)

      Delete
  2. Wait, there's TRIPLE Oreos now?? *want*

    My writing routine is constantly evolving. Normally I'm a wordcount goal-setting fiend, but I tried something new this morning - free writing for the first 15 minutes after I get up. The idea sprung to my head when reading Ray Bradbury's (RIP) The Zen in the Art of Writing, which talks a lot about tapping into the subconscious to boost your creativity.

    One morning in, and I'm already hooked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try that!!! I love to color outside the lines so free writing sounds right up my alley. :)

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't mind trying free writing! :)

    Addison, that's terrific you get in 5K a day. I don't think I could do that during the summer with the kids home but possibly in the fall! :) Can't wait for the new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that ironic? I was under the impression summer wouldn't be busy. Boy was I wrong. ;) Fall it is girl!

      Delete
  4. I try to do the networking/blogging thing when I first get up so that I don't have that as an excuse to distract me when I need to be writing (who, me? Get distracted? Never.)

    I have to set concrete goals for myself, too. I'm a habitual list maker, so I have a weekly list. I usually shoot for 2-3k words a day, depending on what my schedule looks like for the day. I give myself one freebie a week for when life gets in the way, so that I don't beat myself up too badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nickie! I give myself a freebie too when life insists I take one. For a long time I couldn't get anything done on Mondays. I guess the universe knows best!

      Delete
  5. I wish I had that kind of discipline. I think maybe if writing was my "day job," it'd be easier to set goals. But when writing is job #3 (behind the paying job and parenting), it's hard to do more than get to it when I can. :( I'm glad you stick to a strict schedule though so I can keep reading your great stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessie! I know exactly what you mean! Set achievable goals that work for you! I used to write in the morning before work and then after the kids went to bed before the unit I worked on closed.

      Delete
  6. You inspire me, Addison. I might have to raise my personal bar--next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I outline goals that are way too lofty because I like the challenge and over time they become the new norm. ;) I hope it works for you girl!!! xoxo

      Delete
  7. Excellent Working Dear Friend Nice Information Share all over the world i am really impress your work Stay Blessings On your Work...God Bless You.
    web designers in bradford
    cheap bikes

    ReplyDelete
  8. i admire the discipline, Addison. What a great system you've put into place for yourself. I especially relate to the Oreo ritual. You eat the center first, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there any other way to eat them? ;) And thank you. It's what works for now. I'm pretty sure it's as much as I can handle.

      Delete
  9. Can you say Double Stuff? yum! I tend to avoid looking at a computer when things get tough. I just try to get lost in my imagination, and return once I feel grounded again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ciarra, you're speaking my language! And you have a great routine. Getting lost in your imagination is sometimes the happiest place on earth. ;)

      Delete