Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Reading, Writing, and Snacks, Oh My!

When I write, I snack. When I read, I snack. Unfortunately, the foods I crave during these times aren't that great for me--full of sugar and simple carbohydrates. Soda, slushies, cookies, candy, chips. There are probably plenty of peeps out there with this same problem, so I'd like to share some healthful snacks for reading and writing that I've started to eat instead.



Instead of sugary soda, iced green tea is my new fav. Yeah, it's an acquired taste, but then so is soda.

Popsicles? Who doesn't LOVE Popsicles? A whole box in one writing session, please. How about making your own using tea, or better yet, blend some coconut milk with your favorite fruit  or berry and pour into molds, freeze, and gobble up!

Popcorn! I know, this is somewhat debatable--empty calories and all--but if a natural kernel is used, it could be a low-cal crunch fest. Stay away from microwave popcorn, though.

The basics: Fruits, chopped veggies, nuts (a handful of nuts a day). All these are great quick pick-me-ups.

There's nothing like frozen grapes or frozen slices of peach or mango, especially on a hot summer day. Yum!

KIND Bars are delish to have on hand, too. I can sometimes find them on sale for 99 cents at the grocery store.

So there you have it. The important thing is to keep it simple and clean. Nothing processed. If you absolutely have nothing healthful in the house, drink a giant glass of water instead. :) We are given only one body. Let's make it last a long time...

What are your favorite good-for-you snacks?

_____________________________________________________________________



Angela Carlie writes fiction about young people. She's the author of Dream Smashers and the Lords of Shifters Series. When she's not daydreaming or writing, she enjoys hiking, kayaking, and traveling. She lives in the beautiful Pacific Northwest with her husband, teenage son, and furry critters. For more information, you may visit her website at http://angelacarlie.com

2 comments:

  1. I love to snack too and your picture is making me hungry! Great choices. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really eat any healthful snacks (except for apples) so I don't have a favorite. :( But I'm gonna give your list a try!

    ReplyDelete