Friday, May 4, 2012

The Care and Feeding of Your Creativity



Doing creative work is like no other work I’ve done before – demanding, emotional, non-linear. At times, it flummoxes my Logic Brain that it works at all, and yet astonishingly, humans are capable of creating something out of literally nothing – if you can call the amazingly complex set of neurons, chemical cocktails and electrical processes inside your brain nothing.

And we’re not even touching on the divine here.

Neglecting the small miracle that creativity is to begin with, how do you feed this essential skill that allows you to do creative work? The typical sources – TV, movies, books – are like a steady drip of creative work from other people’s brains into yours. All good. But creativity is a muscle that must be worked, not just a blender that can be stuffed with all kinds of disparate ingredients and pureed into a smoothie of a story.



Stretching Your Creative Muscles

I’ve long found blog posts a great way to juice my creativity. Consistently creating new content, on a relentless schedule, is a demanding task. More recently I’ve found that marketing juices my creativity as well. Need a new idea for a book launch? A different snippet to tweet out about your book? A fun contest to run? Crank up the creativity engine. I stretched those muscles even further in creating Bonus Content for the upcoming launch of Closed Hearts. A fake twitter conversation? A bit of flash fiction? A Pinterest page? Forcing myself into different forms is like doing creative interval training.

Sometimes the best way to stoke creativity is to put it in a box, either by forcing yourself into one (the confines of story structure) or by figuring a way out of one (extricating your MC from the corner you’ve backed them into). While plotting out Mindjack#3, I found that the emotional pivot point of my story wasn’t lining up with the structural midpoint of the story. Now, there’s no Law of Writing that says these two story turning points must coincide. But I wanted it to – you know that niggling feeling that something’s not quite right? I’ve learned to listen hard to that voice. It’s telling me to keep trying. So I kept banging away at the plot until I found a way for those two points to line up – and when I did, the turning points worked so much better than before! I had the same feeling of satisfaction that hopefully the reader will experience when the story is actually written. In fact, that particular plot solution was so powerful that it invaded my subconscious, created a scene, and forced me to write a 1000 words in a story I haven’t started drafting yet.

That’s a creative engine on overdrive.



Creative Secret Weapons

Sometimes a change of tools or problem or scenery stokes my creativity, even if it’s not explicitly focused on writing: working with my kids to design activities for the summer that will keep them occupied; dreaming up ways to keep in touch with my relatives in California, that I’m particularly missing right now; crafting a plan to finally keep on top of the mutant laundry situation. All these things feed upon each other.

Another creativity super charger is being present in the moment. Instead of letting all the little snippets of life slip into my subconscious, I try to notice everything around me. I observe the body language of the African woman on the plane as she captures and kisses the tightly curled fist of her gorgeous 6 month old baby. I take in every detail of the guy with the black hat and trench coat, scouring for clues as to why he’s clutching that black canvas briefcase slung tight over his chest like it might contain nuclear launch codes. I watch the Swedish musician as he describes the antique guitars he found in Texas and the Blues Clubs he’s going to play in Chicago, and notice which words trip lightly from his lips and which ones have picked up a southern twang while stopping over in Dallas. I jot down the eyebrow rubs and the finger flexing and the neck scratching that comprise the secret body language we all instinctively know but never notice.

It’s amazing how creative a plane ride can be.

What do you do to feed your creativity?

22 comments:

  1. I go for a run. No, seriously, it works for me. I can be thinking about one thing, my mind starts to drift and WHAM! An idea hits. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! There's such a mind-body connection, I am sure that blood pumping totally works!

      Delete
  2. Like Stina, running does wonders for my plotting. Lately, a power nap has helped me solved problems - either that or my brain shuts down. But reading books and watching good TV always inspires me and sparks ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get some of my best ideas as I'm drifting off to sleep or waking up - there's something about unhooking your conscious mind and letting the thoughts flow that unleashes the creative side!

      Delete
  3. Susan, I couldn't think of a way that I feed my creativity until I read the comments. Yep, going for a run (or walk) will get those creative juices flowing every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You people are going to be very fit as well as creative! :) I have to use lots of ways, because one doesn't always work. But then I'm a variety junkie. :)

      Delete
  4. You have no idea how badly I needed to read a post like this right now. My creativity has fallen into some kind of black hole lately. THANK YOU FOR THIS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love problems. Problems, in my opinion, often lead to the greatest creativity. They force you to be craetive, as a potential solution demands it. And the story, in the end, is usually better from having had that problem (and solving it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good juicy problem can definitely get the mind crunching! :)

      Delete
  6. There a time/place between wakefulness and sleep from where my inspiration flows. Vivid scenes come into focus and characters become sentient beings. Or, a few minutes of meditation silences my ego and allows the creative juices to flow. I watched a Wayne Dyer program a few days ago. He talked briefly about where he gets his written creations - the Source. I find it puzzling how tongue tied I get when talking, but have the ability to clearly articulate my feelings on paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Feather, I love the idea of using meditation! I'm the person voted Least Likely to Meditate (because going slooow is so not my thing), but I've actually tried it a few times and it's an amazing experience. I need to add this to my toolkit. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Great perspective and attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the post! I met a girl last night who told me she just wasn't very creative, and I spent quite a while trying to convince her otherwise. I should send her this post to let her know that creativity is a muscle that can be exercised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People get so easily locked into an idea of what they "are" and "aren't"! I suppose it's a part of forming our self-image, but it can also be so limiting. I'm a big believer in a growth mindset for everyone (not just kids).

      Delete
  9. Great post!

    I feel really creative flying too. You would not believe all the little bits of paper I jot down ideas on when I'm flying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I have my notebook, or else the little bits would totally get lost! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. I love this. Things I do to feed my creativity are reading a ton and observing everything I can about the world around me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing, the power of observation. And one we so rarely use. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. I try to create fun web sites that get the creative juices of my visitors flowing ;-/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hah! It took me 8 months of mulling over a major plot problem - not that it was ACTIVE mulling, mind you - when the solution suddenly popped up, unbidden, unprompted. I'd had to shelve that story and start working on a new one. Fortunately, my creativity is usually alot more responsive than this one extreme case.

    I find that creativity builds and expands on itself. Definitely stretching creative muscles as you did on the plane makes for more creativity while writing!

    ReplyDelete