Monday, May 7, 2012

Nerdy is the New Sexy!

Nerdy is the New Sexy!

Didn't you know? Well, in case you were unsure, fellow Indelibles, RaShelle Workman and Magan Vernon, want to clear it up for you--it is!

And because they are so sure of this fact, they've started a new blog called--you guessed it:




isn't this blog banner awesome??






I invited RaShelle and Magan to answer a few questions to explain why they set up this new blogsite and what exactly is so sexy about being a nerd?

 RaShelle

Elle:  I know you have your own blog and contribute to the Indelibles blog, so why another blog?

R:  I’m crazy! Plus, I wanted a place where people could come and talk about teen years, growing up, being a nerd, or not. Even being a superstar is great to talk about. I wanted it Just a place to hang and be silly, or talk about whatever is on their minds. Basically, this place is for teens.

Elle: Where did the idea for your new blog, Nerdy is the New Sexy come from?

R: I’d been thinking a lot about what my platform should be. What I wanted others to know I stood for. During this same time, it was discovered that my sixteen-year-old niece was diagnosed with cancer. She’s this vibrant, amazing girl. Smart. Very talented in dance. Gorgeous on the inside and out. I knew I wanted to stand for her. For my children. For all teens. From that, the idea was born. The words: nerdy is the new sexy popped into my head.

Elle:  Do you consider yourself a Nerd? Why?

R: From wikipedia, the definition of nerd is this: Nerd is a derogatory slang term for a person typically described as socially-impaired, obsessive, or overly intellectual. They may spend inordinate amounts of time on unpopular or obscure activities, pursuits, or interests, which are generally either highly technical, or relating to topics of fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities. Other nerdy qualities include physical awkwardness, introversion, quirkiness, and unattractiveness. Thus, a nerd is often excluded from physical activity and is a social outsider. In the stereotypical high-school situation, they may be either considered loners by others, or they tend to associate with a small group of like-minded people. From that definition, I’d say I’m three-quarters nerd, and one-quarter dork. =D


Megan 

Elle: What do you hope comes from your efforts at  Nerdy is the New Sexy?

M: One of the original things I tried to accomplish with my own blog is to show that those of us who grew up as nerds, geeks, and the like actually aren't as weird as people think. People used to think I was weird in high school for Fangirling out over Anne Rice and Buffy, but now everyone and there mom is gaga for Twilight and Vampire Diaries. All those things that used to be nerdy are now sexy and always will be. 

Elle: Are you a Nerd? How so?
M: My bio says that I am the geek-to-glam poster child, but my husband says that I am still a nerd. I can't help it. I would rather spend my time catching up on episodes of Fact or Faked paranormal files than go out to a bar. It may not make me as popular, but I feel a lot better in the morning than everyone else. 

Elle: How did you and RaShelle meet?
M: We both joined the Indelibles online Indie group and immediately I was drawn to Rashelle since we both wrote alien novels. We swapped stories, became critique partners, and if you read our books you will definitely find our nerdiness shine through. 


What'ch waiting for? Go visit this great blog and don't forget to send your teens!

www.nerdyisthenewsexy.blogspot.com


Elle Strauss writes Young Adult and Middle Grade fiction. She's a married mom of four, and lives in the beautiful Okanagan Valley, famous for beaches and vineyards. She's fond of Lindt's sea salt dark chocolate and hiking in good weather. Her Young Adult rom/com time-travel CLOCKWISE series and contemporary/otherworldly Middle Grade IT'S A LITTLE HAYWIRE are now available on Amazon and Smashwords.

6 comments:

  1. I love the new blog title and the picture to go with it! There's too much anti-intellectualism going on. Let's embrace the thinkers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for mentioning us, Elle. You're awesome.

    Theresa - I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the new blog and hope it takes off! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting! Next it will be Geek is Gay:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you ladies are all awesome. proud to know you!

    ReplyDelete