Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Originality

Has anyone else noticed all the remakes lately? I turn on the radio and a surprising number of "new" hits are actually remakes of old songs. Either that or they are at least heavily sampling something from the past. It's the same with movies. I could hardly believe it when they remade Footloose last year! And now in 2012 there are remakes like 21 Jump Street and Fright Night. Next year, I hear they are coming out with a new Superman and even remaking Steel Magnolias. It makes me wonder: Where are all the original ideas?

I think what bothers me most about some of these remakes is that sometimes it just seems that the studios or musical artists just want to make a quick buck. Rather than put in the time and effort of actually doing something new or original, they simply hire new actors to tell the same exact story in the same exact way. Then, they push it out to the public saying, "Remember this movie you loved when you were younger? You've just got to go see the remake, it's awesome!" Something about it feels so manufactured and passionless.

But what about when a true artist takes an old story and makes something new out of it? The Dark Knight series of Batman remakes has been amazing and I honestly can't wait for The Dark Knight Rises this summer. On the other hand, that series still has unique elements that weren't there in the original films. Of course, you could also say the films were just a remake of the comic books since that's where Batman got his true start, but at least the Batman Begins trilogy tells the story in a new way.

What about Snow White and the Huntsman? Old story. New twist. In the previews at least, I haven't seen any reference to seven dwarves. I haven't seen Snow White in the kitchen whistling and cooking for seven tiny men or roaming through the happy woods with deer. Instead, there are scenes with her in full body armor, wielding a sword and shield. I think I'm going to like this Snow White (even if I don't always love Kristen Stewart).



When a remake is done with a totally new twist, it can be powerful and exciting. Then again, when it's just a straight remake, I often get frustrated and confused. If you're not improving on it, why do it? Just to make money? I'd much rather see people take a risk on something original than something regurgitated. That's one reason I love this new revolution of self-publishing. I love the freedom so many authors have now of telling their own stories in their own unique way (or completely reimagining something old and giving it an exciting new twist). Less limitations and more creativity in story-telling is much more exciting to me than straight remakes of something that's been done several times before.

What are some of your favorite remakes? What about remakes that disappointed you? Is there something you've always wanted to see redone? I'd love to hear your opinions on this!

_____________________________________________________________

Sarra Cannon
Website • Blog • Twitter • Facebook

Sarra Cannon grew up in a small town in Georgia where she learned that being popular always comes at a price. Now, she lives in North Carolina with her amazing husband and her teeny tiny Pomeranian,Snickerdoodle. Books and music are her greatest passions. She has never been a cheerleader, but it's possible she knows a few things about casting spells.


The first book in her popular Peachville High Demons series, Beautiful Demons, is now available for free at most ebook retailers.

21 comments:

  1. I like remakes if they are a retelling of the story I already love. The original Footloose is one of my favorite movies, and I expected the remake to be a modern retelling. Instead it was an exact duplicate of the first-scene for scene it was the same. Very disappointing.
    I recently read The Goddess Test, and really loved the new version of an old, familiar myth-I loved the nice side of Hades. I was very surprised that there were quite a few reviewers who didn't like it simply because it didn't stick to the "truth".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the newer Footloose yet for that exact reason! I loved the old one and heard this newer one wasn't very good. So disappointing! Guess it's hard to beat Kevin Bacon though, haha.

      Delete
  2. A new spiderman is releasing this summer too. The sad thing - I thought it looked really good because they seem to be putting a new twist on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I forgot about Spiderman! It will be interesting to see if they add some new twists to it.

      Delete
  3. I'm dying to see Snow White & the Huntsman. My 10-year-old daughter and I already have a date to go see it. CANNOT WAIT!!!!

    Oh, remakes, I agree with you. I get tired of all the remakes in Hollywood. There's so much great new content out there. Why aren't they seeking that out more? Probably because it's easier to market something people are already familiar with. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Megg! I wish Hollywood would start introducing more great new content. I think right now they consider it risky though. Hopefully things will change!

      Delete
  4. I'm excited about the new Snow White. I completely agree about Kristen Stewart, but the show Once Upon a Time, is based on Snow White's story. I recommend it. I actually grew up hating Snow White, and the show made me see the Non-doormat version of her and I love it!

    You can catch it on Hulu while taking care of that munchkin this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool! I haven't seen that show. I didn't realize it was based on Snow White. I'll have to check it out.

      Delete
  5. I'm looking forward to the new Snow white movie, too, for the reasons you mentioned. I can't imagine how they can improve the Spiderman movie, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Spiderman was so good! I haven't really paid much attention to the trailers for the new one though, so I'm not sure exactly which angle they are taking. I'll have to check it out.

      Delete
  6. Maybe not so much remakes as 'based on'. Like how 'Clueless' was based on Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. And 'Avatar' telling a very Pocahontas-John Smith type of story. If its well done and adds new twists, than ya, like you said, it doesn't bother me that much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, good point about the 'based on'. They are exact remakes, but they sort of take the story and put it in a new era and add new elements. I loved Clueless! I think as long as they make it their own, it can be great.

      Delete
  7. I agree to all of this! I get so sick that everything seems to be a remake now. Maybe more movie producers should just adapt books into movies then I can have something a little more original, especially if it's indie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. my husband gets very frustrated with the lack of originality in Hollywood to. Especially how if something works (say, an aliens attack movie), then everyone suddenly has their own alien movie. Not that it doesn't happen in publishing too though...
    but it makes me wonder, are fans driving the trends or are the industries creating them?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean! So many remakes and reboots and sequels and fairy tales. We need some fresh young talent in Hollywood, that's for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh, great post. Remakes have the potential to either completely rub you the wrong way or be fantastic. Snow White and the Huntsman is a great example of one that does look unique -- dark and powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess if someone hasn't seen the original, the remake makes sense. It certainly makes good business sense. Think Star Wars. If that ever comes out again, there are new generations that have never seen a Wookie. My biggest disappointment was Willie Wonka. I just couldn't get behind the dark Johnny Depp character.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are some remakes/adaptations that I LOVE -- '10 Things I Hate About You' is at the very top of that list. I also really enjoyed the updated 'Chronicles of Narnia' movies. But you're right -- there needs to be a significant update or twist on the original material to make the new worth reading/watching.

    The Snow White thing was a bit weird to me, since there were two Snow White updates out this year -- Snow White and the Huntsman, and Mirror Mirror. It seems like one studio or another would have tried to reschedule the release dates so that they didn't fall so close together.

    http://nickieanderson.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Batman Begins would top the list of remakes. I don't hear anyone clamoring for the rubber-nippled suits of Schumacher's Batman and Robin. I agree with Nickie's post above. There needs to be enough of a twist on the original material to justify a remake. I'm interested to see a Snow White who acts more as a heroine than a damsel in distress, but, as has been stated above, it's going to be punishment to watch Kristen Stewart act for close to two hours. Hope she's taken some lessons since Twilight.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally agree. I do fairy tale retellings, but for the most part you'd never be able to find the original in the final story. Rapunzel has a tower in it. Snow white is being erased by a magical painting that makes everyone forget her.

    Movies, books, music...sometimes it feels like nothing original is being done any more. The funny thing is, many times they aren't even billed as remakes, the old versions went into public domain and someone snapped up the idea.

    Lauren

    Lauren-ritz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that new Snow White looks fantastic! And I'm also not a huge KS fan, but I am a medium-sized CT fan... :D It looks like they've combined elements of other films to create something new and interesting--where have I seen that soul-suck before? Was it Harry Potter? Still very cool.

    You're right, of course, about the twist on something old being awesome. Maybe w/the exact remakes it's like when your kids like you to read the same story to them over and over. It's comforting? Great post!

    ReplyDelete