Monday, October 8, 2012

Something NaNo this way comes



Hello~! It's me Addison Moore.  

November, also known as national novel writing month, (thus lovingly dubbed, NaNoWriMo) commences in a mere three weeks time!

I thought I'd do my part in offering a little inspiration in the think-up-a-new-WIP department.

 A good way to look at NaNo is to treat it like a literary exercise of MFA proportions, even if that means shoveling 50K words into your already existing WIP at breakneck speed (technically against the rules). Or for those of you still scratching your heads as to what to write about next, here are a few meager suggestions;

*Write a sequel to one of your favorite novels. If you're concerned with falling in love with your new work and fear it never seeing the light of day due to stringent copyright laws, choose a novel who's copyright has long since expired.     

*Take your favorite cast of characters that history has to offer and unite them under the guise of historical albeit slightly inaccurate fiction. Or if you've got a problem playing fast and loose with the past, write a straightforward historical novel with just one of your favorite oldies but goodies. (I've got dibs on David ;) as in one of the best kings ever? His eight wives might beg to differ).

*Write a memoir! Why wait for that literary magnum opus to play itself out? Why reserve all the excitement of exploring the inner labyrinth of your psyche for some distal point in the future? Besides, who knows you better than, well, YOU? The streamline of memories might just roll you past the 50K mark with no problem. Remember to pump the breaks once or twice before hitting 100 thousand. ~Relatives beware.

*If the whole memoir idea has you shuddering, write a 'tell all' about someone else. Be sure to wrap that one up and give it to the MC in question for Christmas. You might want to include a mug and some packets of coco so they can hunker down and get cozy with the burgeoning classic, perhaps a blanket to toss over their shoulders for when they begin exhibiting symptoms of shock. (I jest. Highly not recommended at least the gifting part).  

I'm sure you could come up with much more vitriolic mayhem to taunt and titillate on an unnaturally poignant level. Perhaps this is a good time to let you in on a little NaNo secret. No. One. Ever. Reads. Your. Work. Well, at the NaNo website they don’t. You simply desposit your words into their data counter and they double check your word count.

If nothing else you can buddy up with your writing friends and exchange cyber high-fives as you catapult yourself to the finish line. Oh, and there will be prizes. Oh yes.

Now that I've got your imagination all riled up I'll leave you to your own cerebral devices. 

Ever participate in NaNo? What are your thoughts on this insane national writing spree? Is it safe? Should there be laws imposed against such *BICFOK freedoms? Got any big ideas?

*BICFOK = butt in chair, fingers on keyboard. This is the rally cry of NaNo participants everywhere.


Addison Moore writes young adult fiction and romance. She is a graduate from the University of Southern California and worked as a therapist on a locked psychiatric unit for nearly a decade. She resides on the West Coast with her husband, four wonderful children and two dogs where she eats too much chocolate and stays up way too late. When she's not writing, she's reading.

Addison Moore's Celestra Series has been optioned for film by 20th Century Fox.

To learn more about Addison and her books please visit her blog: Addison Moore Blogspot



8 comments:

  1. I usually use NaNo month to inspire me to write more than I usually do. I only entered once officially and didn't come close to winning. I do have this out-line I need to whip into a completed first draft in record time, so maybe I should try it again. Though I'll be jet-lagged...(excuses, excuses!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. NaNoWriMo is what more aspiring authors need. Too often great books aren't written because they don't sit and write it out, worrying about making sure someone will like it or that it's not entirely perfect. The exact opposite is true, and people need to just get the words out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never done NaNo, but I have a couple of friends who do. November's just an impossible month for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I co-write. Always have, always will. NaNoWriMo says it's against the rules...even if we did 100,000 words :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'll be a rebel this year and add the last 50k of the wip I intend to start writing this week ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love NaNo! It taught me how to write with dedication. Now I "NaNo" a few times every year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't done NaNo yet, but one of these days I will. You presented great ideas for the month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I might actually get to do NaNo this year. Super excited!

    ReplyDelete