Wednesday, October 17, 2012

STILL CLIMBING



“Take the first step in faith.
You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.”
~Martin Luther King


So true isn't it?
I've been trying to get back in my writing groove because I have TWO sequels that need to be finished yesterday. I’m actually revealing the cover for one of those sequels today, so check it out if you have a sec.

Anywho, I thought about writing a new post, but my mind is running amuck elsewhere, so I'm cheating. This is a post I wrote a couple years ago, but it still applies to me today and I believe wholeheartedly in every word. Maybe some other writers out there can relate.

When I first thought about writing a novel I thought about MLK's quote and stepped. Blindly.

Staring up at the spiraling, intimidating, long path in front of me.
Wondering if all this climbing and stressing is worth it.
Is it foolish to believe I'll ever reach the top?
It looks impossible from way down here.
With such a long, long way to go.
Pushing through the pain.
Tripping & Stumbling.
Self-Doubting.

BREATHE.

STEP.

BELIEVE.

Climb blindly.
But enjoy the scenery.
Make each step mean something.
Realize turning back is also giving up.
Set small, reachable goals, but keep dreaming big.
Don't compete with others climbing the stairway with you.
Learn, grow, and expand your support system--and horizons.
Put one foot in front of the other, passionately, even when it's hard.

Remember, we don't have to see the whole staircase. Keep in mind, we're not alone on this journey. Rest assured, the top is probably nothing like you think it will look like anyway. Besides, there is always another staircase waiting to be conquered. Keep climbing. Blindly. But with faith. Oh, and breathe. Just breathe.

Karen was born and bred in Baltimore, frolicked and froze in Colorado for a couple of years, and is currently sunning and splashing around Florida with her two beloved dogs. She's addicted to coffee, chocolate, and complicated happily-ever-afters. 

www.KarenAmandaHooper.com 
Twitter: @karen_hooper 

6 comments:

  1. Love it! I think it's good to bring out older posts or sometimes they get hidden from new readers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post!

    One day at a time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Older posts are still applicable when they talk of universal truths.

    By the way, your new cover looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful. That rings so true for me right now. I'm at the bottom of the mountain looking up. I need to put one foot forward at a time and before I know it, I'll be able to see the view from the top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that was beautiful - as is your new cover!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! :)

    Laura and HS, yes. Oldies but goodies.
    IB, yup. One day at a time is the rule I follow.

    Christy, you can do it!

    Jessie, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete