Monday, November 12, 2012

More than 20 Can Play...

Wow, guys. So I've been watching these Indelibles from afar for a year now, and I was just thrilled and honored when I was asked to join the group.

Back in the fall of 2011, I had an agent and was working on a book deal, but I could already see the publishing tides were turning. Things were changing for independent authors, and there were more and more great, self-published books hitting the market.

I was always a traditional girl. I had worked as an editor for years, and I believed in the system. But I can point to two distinct moments when my mind started to change.

The first was when fellow Indelible Elle Strauss posted a Ted talk by Margaret Atwood (link). You should take a moment and watch it. The short version is Atwood basically threw down the challenge: She didn't understand why anyone would take a traditional deal anymore.

"Sure, that's easy to say if you're Margaret Atwood," I thought.

The next thing that happened was my good friend (and fellow Indelible) Susan Quinn (link) began posting about her successes in independent publishing, her goals and her ability to reach them. I was editing books for several self-published authors, and I saw the quality storytelling going on. I knew she was right.


On Amazon
Finally, my own (former) agent advised me to self-publish my debut YA romantic-comedy The Truth About Faking (link), and from there, I was completely sold.

Joining forces with a fantastic group of fellow independent writers was the icing on the cake for me.

Writing is a lonely, isolating endeavor. Making the right decision in these publishing times is a scary thing, and it's so great to have good friends and fellow experts you can turn to for advice.

This group is just one example of how writers can work together, but there's absolutely no reason why it should be the only one. Reach out to fellow writers and form your own group!

And regardless of your path to publication, writers can (and should) help each other. We can (and should) encourage each other, and ultimately, we can  (and should) succeed together!

As I like to say, it takes months or years to write an amazing book, but it only takes days to read it. There's plenty of room at the table for everyone!

The Indelibles and groups like ours are about promoting the best part of being writers--helping each other. Grab the baton and do the same!

------------
Leigh Talbert Moore is a wife and mom by day, a writer by day, a reader by day, a freelance editor when time permits, a caffeine addict, a chocoholic, a beach bum, a lover of YA and new adult romance (really any great love story), and occasionally she sleeps.
Leigh's new book on Amazon!

-THE TRUTH ABOUT FAKING (link) is her debut young adult romance.
-ROUGE (link) is the first book in her mature-YA/new adult romance series.

Leigh loves hearing from readers; stop by and say hello:

Blog * Facebook * Amazon Author page * Goodreads

13 comments:

  1. Welcome aboard! Sometimes all it takes is an eye-opening blog post from another author for the seed of truth to be planted! There are so many blog posts on making the decision to self publish and something everything writers should at least research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Leigh for joining thee group. You're right. We do need to support each other in whatever path we chose. Glad you found the right one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so inspired by the group here and the way they support each other and how much they offer to the indie community. Good to see you here, Leigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on joining The Indelibles!
    "She didn't understand why anyone would take a traditional deal anymore." << I confess I've been questioning that myself for quite some time now ... I'm just too afraid to make the leap yet =P
    Besides having a couple of writer friends who I can talk about anything, I'm also one of the sister of NA Alley - and that group is awesome. We talk about everything and have lots of sun on our loop ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, Leigh. So happy you're part of the Indelibles. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So great to have you, Leigh! Can already see your star rising!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know my opinions of SP books have been changing. Lately, that's all I seem to read. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the inspiration and support I see in the Indie community. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, guys! It means so much to me to have your support and encouragement. Both in and out of the Indelibels! We've been at this for several years now, and I'm thrilled every time a writer friend "makes it," regardless of what "it" looks like. :o) <3 ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never considered starting my own group like this. Great things to think about. I'm not quite there yet - but soon. Love the support in your connection. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our stories are so similar we could almost be publishing twins. ;) I'm so glad you had the bravery to go for it. And I'm glad we're here to support you along the way!

    ReplyDelete